The institute was originally established in 1905 at Pusa, Bihar, as Agricultural Research Institute (ARI), which was changed to Imperial Institute of Agricultural Research in 1911 and then again in 1919 as the Imperial Agricultural Research Institute.with the financial assistance of an American Philanthropist, Henry Phipps, Jr.. Phipps was a family friend of Lady Curzon, who was the daughter of American millionaire and wife of Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India. Phipps stayed as a guest of Curzons during his visit to India.
More importantly, Phipps left behind with them a donation of $30,000, which was utilized for the establishment of the institute. He laid the foundation stone of Agricultural Research Institute and college on 1 April 1905
However the institute was damaged during the devastating Bihar earthquake of 1934 which occurred on 15 January 1934.
Thereafter the Secretary of State approved the transfer in July, 1943. The Standing Finance Committee of the Union Assembly finally announced on 25 August 1934 in Shimla, the decision to shift the institute to New Delhi at the approximate cost of ₹3.8 million (US$56,000). to a place that is now called Pusa in New Delhi.
The new campus at New Delhi was inaugurated on 29 July 1936, while the new building of the Imperial Institute of Agricultural Research was inaugurated by then Viceroy of India, Lord Linlithgow on 7 November 1936.
Post-independence, the institute renamed Indian Agricultural Research Institute, and in 1950 the Shimla sub-station of institute developed Rust-resistant varieties of wheat, including Pusa 718, 737, 745, and 760. In 1958, it was recognized as a "deemed university" under the UGC act of 1956 of Parliament and since then it has awarded MSc and PhD degrees.
What remained of the institute at the original location was downgraded to an agricultural research station until 1970, when the Government of Bihar established the Rajendra Agricultural University at the location.
It will serve the cause of science and society with distinction through first rate research, generation of appropriate technologies and development of human resources. In fact, the Green Revolution was born in the fields of IARI and its graduates constitute the core of the quality human resource in India's agricultural research and education.
The Institute has all along been adjusting and improving its policies, plans and programmes to effectively respond to the needs and opportunities of the nation. During the fifties, the advancement of scientific disciplines constituted the core programme and provided the base for its fast expansion in the 1960s and 1970s in all its three interactive areas, namely, research, education and extension. Besides basic research, applied and commodity research gained great importance resulting in the development of several popular high yielding varieties of almost all major crops and their associated management technologies, which brought about an unprecedented increase in the national food and agricultural production.
The campus is spread over 500 hectares (5.0 km2), 8 km west of New Delhi Railway Station. This was initially outside Delhi, but over the decades the city has grown much beyond the campus. Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute is affiliated with and is located in the campus of the Indian Agricultural Research Institute.
Department of Posts released a postage stamp to commemorate the centenary of the Indian Agricultural Research Institute
Issued Date : 30 - 03 - 2006
Denomination : 500 Paise